24 Hours: 01989 564687 reception@vinetreevets.co.uk

The pets travel scheme is a scheme that allows us to take our pets abroad without them having to go into quarantine. However there are various different criteria’s that you should look into before travelling.

In this page we have written the basic criteria required by the pets passport scheme and a few of our own recommendations to keep your pet safe whilst travelling.

If you are considering taking your pet abroad then there are a few things to think about.

  • Pets passport
  • Parasite control
  • Finding a local vet where you are travelling to.
  • Insurance
  • Information updates


Pet’s passports

Your pet’s passport can be obtained with us providing you follow a few simple steps.

  1. Your pet will need to be microchipped before having the vaccination. If your pet already has a microchip then one of our vets will need to scan their chip and accurately record the details of its location and number. It is essential that your details relating to this chip are up to date.
  2. A rabies vaccination will need to be administered after the microchip.
  3. Once the vaccination has been carried out the passport can be completed by us. Your pet will be able to travel 21 days after the vaccination date (where the vaccination date is classed as day 0). It is essential that all your details have been entered correctly in the passport, so please check all information including the vaccination entry (more eyes the better!)
  4. Please ensure that you record when your pet needs their next rabies vaccination. We do send out reminders as a complimentary service. However please be aware it is ultimately, as the owner, your responsibility to keep your pets vaccinations up to date.

Parasite control

Your pet will need to be treated for parasite control before they re-enter the UK. However we do recommend that you protect your pet for other parasites that may affect them whilst travelling.

Pet travel scheme requirements

  1. Your pet will need to be wormed 1-5 days before re-entering the UK. Failure to do this will mean your dog will have to stay in quarantine, or you will need to stay a few extra days in the country so this time can pass.
  2. The worming will need to be carried out at a veterinary surgery in the country you are staying in. The vet will need to sign, stamp and date the allocated section in your passport.
  3. You must ensure that the worming product has a drug called praziquantel in. Milbemycin is an advantageous addition (explained below). This is to treat for a parasite called Echinococcus multilocularis, currently not in the UK.

Our recommendations

We suggest that you treat your pet for other parasites including ticks, sand flies, mosquito’s and heart worm. Prior to and during your period of travel.

All of the above parasites can be debilitating and life threatening to your pet.


Ticks and mosquitoes can be prevented by using 2 products,

  1. Scalibor. This treats and prevents not only ticks and mosquitos but sand flies as well. It is an impregnated collar which the dog will need to wear 1 week before you travel abroad. The collar will need to be replaced every 5 months.
  2. Advantix. This treatment is a spot on the back of the neck and will need to be applied every 2 weeks. You will need to apply the treatment 1 week before you travel.
  3. NOTE:-Both of these products are highly toxic to cats. So if you have a mixed house hold it is essential that you separate the cat and dog whilst under this treatment.


Little can be used for cats to protect them against sand flies and mosquitos, however we recommend that you keep your cat in from dusk till dawn to prevent them getting bitten.

We also recommend you still use one of the products below to prevent other parasites.

  1. Treats for fleas and ticks
  2. Treats for round worm, tape worm and heart worm.
  3. Heart worm can be prevented with monthly treatment of Milpro wormer.


Finding a veterinary surgery

We advise that you research the local vets in the area/areas where you are staying. This will help you in any emergency or if your pet falls ill whilst you are away. It will also help for you when you need to obtain wormers and a signature in your passport for your return to the UK.


We would recommend that if your pet is not already insured then to do so before you travel. Insuring your pet gives you scope to provide the best treatment for your pet. Insurance may also cover loss of your passport, loss of your pet and many other benefits that may be wise to look into.

If your pet is already insured it is worth contacting your insurance company to ensure they cover taking your pet abroad.

 Information updates

It is essential when you want to travel with your pet that you keep up to date with the government guidelines. All information can be obtained by visiting www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

If you are travelling outside of the EU then we recommend that you contact a pet travelling company. They will be able to look after all of the finer details for you, such as vaccinations and other parasite treatments needed, any blood tests that may be required and any other necessary paper work you may require.

Please visit the above website to obtain the list of countries in which are not covered by the standard pets passport.


Latest Information


Vine Tree Vets takes your privacy seriously, our GDPR information is available here Read now...


You have Successfully Subscribed!