Infectious diseases are widespread and varied but a summary of information is provided:-
- Influenza A* – respiratory signs of varied severity
- Paramyxovirus 1* – neurological signs contracted from: poultry/pigeons/wild birds.
- Herpesvirus – anorexia, green urates, death.
- West Mite Virus* – neurological signs, followed by sudden death within 48 hours. Spread via mosquitoes.
- Avian Tuberculosis*- long incubation time eventually showing with respiratory signs, chronic weight loss despite good appetites.
- Pasteurella* – chronic respiratory or ocular disease.
- Chlamydophilla*- respiratory or gut signs (more info under psitticines)
- Clostridia – diarrhoea, paralysis, and death, obtained from contaminated/rotten meat.
- Salmonella –rarely reported
- Aspergillosis – see under respiratory problems
- Coccidiosis – common cause of oral cavity lesions
*Please note that these conditions are zoonotic and as such can transfer to humans.